Niigaan: In Conversation is honoured and excited to partner with Red Man Laughing for its upcoming Winter Gala and Fundraiser at the National Arts Centre on December 10, 2013 in Ottawa, Ontario. The theme is Biiskaabiiyang (returning to ourselves) particularly regarding how to move forward in the collective work across the land. Please join us for music, laughter, discussion, dancing and delicious food. The Red Man Laughing Podcast will be a discussion to recreate our shared future. It’s been a year since Chief Spence’s fast and Idle No More. It’s time to regroup, refocus and figure out what we’re doing next. We do this by looking at what we’ve done and what needs to be done and where to go next.
We asked ourselves, what happened to the fire? The community rallied around Chief Spence, there was a desperate feeling, people brought wood, food, soup, medicines, water. We need to get that energy back. The problems are still here, we still have work to do.
We want to hear everyone’s contribution to this discussion;
Please join us to add your voice to this important project.
Our host for the evening is Ryan McMahon, comedian, actor, thinker and Anishinaabe living in Winnipeg. He will be joined by:
- Grand Chief Derek Nepinak (Pine Creek First Nation, Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs)
- Chief Isadore Day (Serpent River FN)
- Lee Maracle (author of a number of critically acclaimed, award-winning works)
- Leanne Simpson (author of a number of critically acclaimed, award-winning works)
- Geraldine King (academic extraordinaire and community mover and shaker)
- Celina Matasawagon (astounding inspiration)
- Gerri Trimble (Jazz singer beyond compare)
- Mosha Folger (a.k.a. M.O. hip hop, spoken word master)
- Christi Belcourt
- Sonny Assu
- Jaime Koebel
- Mo McGreavy
- Shady Hafez
- Kelly-Ann Kruger
Wab Kinew, Director of Indigenous Inclusion at the University of Winnipeg, the host of CBC’s 8th Fire and Al Jazeera host, will be joining us to film the discussion between our host and our guests! In partnership with the University of Winnipeg, Niigaan: In Conversation discussion will be used to create teaching materials around the topic of Idle No More. We are so honoured and excited that the University will be supporting our work.